Volunteer with USCRI Albany
Thank you for your interest in supporting the refugee and immigrant community in the Capital Region. As a volunteer you will play an integral part in the refugee resettlement process. In addition to making a positive first impression of the United States for refugees, you will help them make a smooth transition into their new home. Your help, whether 10 hours a week or 10 hours a year will make a real difference in refugees’ lives and provide you with a truly rewarding experience.
The first step is to attend an Orientation for New Volunteers. Contact USCRI Albany for more information.
There are many ways to stand with a refugee. How you get involved depends on your skills, interests, and the time you have available. Volunteer opportunities include:
Direct Client Service
- Mentor a refugee for 3-6 months or longer, helping them to navigate their new home and community
- Teach English to an individual or family, or teach a weekly class
- Lead a workshop or clinic to help clients create a resume, practice for a job interview, prepare their taxes, learn more about life in the United States, or gain a new skill
- Provide translation or interpretation services
- Drive clients to appointments
Fundraising, Outreach, and Community Involvement
- Help to plan community events to raise awareness and/or raise money for our client services
- Organize a group to run a donation drive, put together a New Arrival Welcome Kit, or provide other kinds of support
Housing and Donations
- Pick up donations of furniture and household goods and transport them to our warehouse and to refugees' homes. We have a strong need for a volunteer with a truck!
- Assist in sorting donated goods in our warehouse
- Help to set up apartments for new arrivals
Internships and Office Support
The first step is to attend an Orientation for New Volunteers. Contact us for more information.